First week of Spring or “Let the Games Begin”: This Week March 22 – 28, 2021

It’s three in the morning on Sunday. I am listening to the steady downpour of rain on the tin roof and wind. The entire week has centered around this one day. Every day preparation for this storm and next week when we are not able to bring in supplies to the farm by kyack like we did this week.

It’s been a whirlwind of activities. If I didn’t have my camera to record my days I would forget what all we’ve done. It’s been stressful. It’s been physically demanding. It’s been overwhelming at times.

This week has been deeply satisfying,  too. The happy moments and feeling of a job well done outweigh the work, my sore arms, and aching back.

It’s been so busy this week I had to break it down by days just to remember.

Read on below or watch the accompanying video.


Monday brought warm weather and low water. Our driveway is still washed out and we are still either wading across or taking the kyack. Or both if we need to get supplies on or products off. Not only did I have orders to get out Monday, I had a very special trip to make to one of my favorite places. I went back to my Old Order Mennonite community to check in and arrange a couple of proper visits.

Mom drove. Not only did we need to go to the community, we also had to get feed, groceries, go to the post office, and get seed potatoes. We are planting one hundred twenty five pounds this month. And every single bit had to be ferried on to the farm.

We also managed to plant potatoes, transplant broccoli and kale, and I planted more chard.


I went back up to the community for jam making supplies and jars plus a good long visit with my dear friends Eunice and Minerva. Eunice is my second mother and Minerva and I are cut from the same cloth. I hadn’t had a proper visit since last fall, and we had a good time in the summer kitchen and greenhouses.

I also went back to my old home. It’s a strange feeling being there but it not being mine. The land is well used and I’ve been given permission to go rescue a few plants. The barn is being used for horses now, so I didn’t go in. Of all the places I miss, my old barn is the one I get the most lonesome for. I spent many hours writing and just sitting up in the loft thinking about life.

Once back to the farm it was time yet again to wade into the water.


Wednesday was my lost day. I was so tired. I had planned to clean house top to bottom. But, I slept, ate, and napped instead.

Mom also went to town for more supplies. Any guesses what I did for the third day in a row? We also worked in the garden some.


It was forecasted to rain Thursday. The sky did a little preview of things to come and then promptly cleared into a BEAUTIFUL day. I spent ten hours making Elderberry Syrup for our stand at the farmer’s market and our upcoming festival.

I did manage to take a break and go check on the critters a few times. The sheep and cattle were in bliss and our goats ran so fast it was impossible to keep up with them to film anything but blurred images and off angles.

Mom also helped me clean up from Syrup making at almost seven in the evening. We usually are settled down and I am asleep by seven thirty this time of year. It was a late night for me, but extremely satisfying.


Friday I started training our young does to eat on the stanchion and become comfortable with being touched all over. This is important training for all young animals and I wish I had known that when all our sheep were younger. The goats need their hooves trimmed every three to four weeks. Having them trained to get up on the stanchion and stand quietly is a must for anyone who works alone.

I did some computer and book work, research on upcoming projects, and generally took it easy most of the morning.

Then it was Loral’s turn for shearing. She is a model citizen for shearing and I was able to take off her six pound main fleece in a short time. It’s absolutely lovely.


The first storm was moving in Saturday. We were up working by three in the morning.

Milking in the dark. You can see about as much as I could.

We finished boiling and filtering seven gallons of water, drew more for dishes and flushing the toilet, as well as bathing. When we have storms it stirs up mud. We don’t want that in our pipes and pump, so we don’t run water for several days after a big storm.

Just before six we headed out to the barn with electric lanterns and hand torches. We hayed, fed, watered, collected extra water, and I milked in the dark.

Just as the dawn began creeping into the sky distant lighting began moving in closer. The last chore was to secure the door open for the cattle to get into their shelter and open their gate.

We lost electricity briefly a few times. In this kind of weather I always worry about our linemen. They are some of the bravest people but so under appreciated. I’ve seen them swim in rushing creeks to secure a powerline before it got loose and took out all the electricity for days. I pray for every single one of them in this weather.

Since we were done so early I flaked out in the big comfy chair with some hand sewing and watched the storm move in. After breakfast I did the only logical thing. I blasted FleetwoodMac’s Rumors on the record player and sorted wool for the rest of the day.

During a rain break we made temporary tunnels for our transplants and covered them with poly cover to protect them from hail.


I’ve never slept well with the rain or a nearly full moon. Both make me restless. We have both currently. I woke up at two and tossed and turned. If I am going to be awake, I might as well do something productive.

The rain is expected to last most of the day. I can hear the creek rushing in the background and I know we have fence repairs, downed limbs, and a small lake out front most likely. But that’s an adventure for next week.

Today has enough work and surprises of it’s own. In a few short hours I will be out doing chores, checking to see if the new transplants made it through the storms, and making an inventory of things to do next week. I also have several blog posts to write and videos to edit.

We already read the news. This storm has brought death and destruction to communities in multiple states. We always count ourselves as blessed when we emerge afterwards generally unscathed.

I plan to rest mostly today and finally get the housework done. In the meantime, I feel thankful and blessed by the week. It has been a tough week in many ways. But yet there is a satisfaction in meeting the challenge.

It is the good moments that make this life worthwhile. Hugs from friends, laughter that lightens the load, the work of your hand, a sweet moment of trust with an animal, watching the sunrise, a song, a breath without a care for tomorrow, and thousands of other little moments create a timeless beauty of boundless joy.

And that was what happened this week.

Until next week,

Moriah and the flock

Published by Moriah Williams

Author, speaker, shepherdess, Earth Mamma, ordained minister, healer, fiber addict, sister, and daughter. It doesn't matter which title we wear. It only matters who we are underneath.

%d bloggers like this: